MUSLIM WAKF AND COMMUNITY WELFARE
It is one of the basic problems faced by Indian Muslims that certain
wakf properties have been grabbed by certain agencies including
Government institutions who have converted them some into residential,
office or commercial complexes forcibly Besides, there are certain wakf
properties that have been let out on nominal rent. Some of the plots of
land lying vacant forms subject matter of certain suits. If the Government
takes this matter seriously and the Muslims the biggest minority
community of India numbering several crores are able to get potential
of this property, it may bring about a. social and economic revolution
and prove them an opportunity to solve their problems since pending
for want of proper finance, but to our great disappointment our wakf
boards have not been able to manage their affairs properly for want of
proper strategy and true spirit. Those who at the helms of the affairs
are more interested in achieving their own ends. Let them come forward
and save what is left out. Any positive response from that quarter is still
missing. Even the roles played by members of wakf board and their
office bearers as also by the Government are subject to scrutiny.
PROBLEMS FACED BY THE WAKFS
- Grabbing of wakf properties.
- Matters regarding wakf properties pending in courts for several
- Lack of proper supervision of wakf land and properties.
- Need to ensure proper possession of wakf properties.
- Further amendment in wakf Act and legal protection.
- Wakf properties be brought out of the purview of the Rent
- All wakf properties must have boundaries.
- Wakf land be used for the welfare of the people.
- Welfare/Social Welfare and Development institutions or
organisations be set up on wakf land.
- Performance of the wakf board be watched constantly
DEMANDS TO THE GOVERNMENT
- Wakf laws be made more effective through further legislation.
- A proper survey be conducted to identify the wakf properties
and record/documents pertaining there to be preserved.
- Educational institution, commercial complexes and other social
welfare oganisations be permitted to raise construction on wakf
- Wakf land and property be brought out of purview of rent control
- The Government may ensure that all wakf cases are consolidated
and transferred to a single court so that they are decided without
further loss of time and the orders passed in such matters are
- The Home Minister may ensure removal of unauthorised
occupants from wakf properties and their restoration to wakf
- Entire wakf land grabbed on the pretext of creating green belt be
restored to wakf board and their land use be changed and
commercialised in proportion to population.
- A commission be set up to inquire the irregularities committed
by the wakf boards and suggest remedies so that such
irregularities are not committed in future.
- Only such persons be nominated to the wakf boards who are
pious, educated andwell-off so that they may not misuse wakf
property and use it as a political tool.
- At the time of nomination of members proper weightage be given
to their character, honesty, religious spirit, interest for the
community and such other attributes so that some improvement
be brought about in the working of wakf boards. Besides,
members of Wakf boards must know the language in which the
wakf deeds have been scribed and petitions are received.
AIOIM Home Page